08 June, 2006

4 Letters 2 Many

Dear Reality Board Observer,

I’m in a moral dilema. I find foul language offensive. Offensive to my religious heart.. People on my board are using dirty language to an offensive excess for no reason and I don’t know what to do. I really try to not even read those specific words, but it is getting harder and harder by the post. Should I say something about it or will I offend people by even bringing it up? Most are so touchy about things that I’m afraid if I ask for a little restraint in that area that they will go into a hussy fit and do it even more. I like the board, but I am almost at my limit of what I can reasonably take. What do you think? Maybe they will read this and get the message.

4 Letters 2 Many



Dear 4 Letters,

I feel your pain and perhaps they will get the message. People use curse words for a few reasons: (a) because they are angry and they want to add emphasis to their statement, (b) because they are very young and relish in the thought of being able to get away with cursing, (c) because they think it is funny, (d) because they are in the lower-economic strata and this is their daily communication fare or (e) they are in the Navy.

Try to understand the fact that they are "communication challenged" and give them a break. It is the best they can do with what they have. Perhaps they will give that affliction some sort of official medical name and then award huge government grants to study it and attempt to cure it.
If you are truly put off, I suggest you move to a board that is heavily moderated. You will find the same sort of language protection there that children are accustomed to.
-RBO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home